How to Braise
- Preheat heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat on stovetop.
- Season roast with salt and freshly ground black pepper, or as desired.
- Add a thin layer of oil to pot.
- When oil shimmers, place roast in pot with tongs. Sear on all sides, including ends.
- Remove seared roast from pot.
- Add roughly cut carrots, celery and onion to pan, and allow to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- When vegetables have browned and softened, stir in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in red wine to deglaze pan, loosening up the browned bits; cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Return roast to pot. Place on top of vegetables, and add fresh herbs like thyme and a bay leaf. Pour beef stock or broth over roast, submerging the bottom third to half.
- Cover pot with tight-fitting lid and place in low oven (preheated to approximately 175°F).
- After 4 to 6 hours, remove roast from oven when it is fork-tender and pulls apart easily.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.